GANG INVOLVED SHOOTINGS
- To date, we’ve had 67 gang related shootings and assaults (up from 51 at this time last year).
- Of those 67, over 60 were gang related shootings with 27 victims.
- 25 of the 27 victims were African Americans.
- Right now, the Gang Enforcement Team has been allocated 6 more officers, leaving them still understaffed.
- Realistically, the Gang Enforcement Team has coverage for 4 days per week on afternoons.
- To do the job well and be proactive, we need 6 days per week coverage on days and afternoons.
- To be sufficiently staffed to do the job well requires 21 additional officers and 3 additional sergeants (by DOJ guidelines, every 7 officers require 1 supervisory sergeant).
- What could be accomplished with the proper staffing of the Gang Enforcement Team and adequately staffed uniform patrol officers and sergeants would be uniform suppression because …
Gang shootings are almost always crimes of opportunity.
Adequate 6 day per week coverage would:
- Allow gang officers as well as uniform patrol officers the ability to engage with the community
- Assist in investigating shootings more aggressively and expediently
Allow uniform patrol officers to be more proactive in their efforts